Hot, sweltering summer afternoons will be much more tolerable if you know how to make a watermelon cocktail. Watermelon cocktails are best made with any clear alcohol, such as tequila or gin, but the most refreshing watermelon cocktail may well be a watermelon martini, created with watermelon juice and vodka and a few other simple ingredients.
To make watermelon cocktail (a watermelon martini), you will need:
- 1/2 cup watermelon juice.
- 4 ounces of good quality vodka.
- 1/8 cup simple syrup (sugar). Make simple syrup by mixing equal parts of sugar and water and heating just until the sugar melts. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and sugar, mixed together
- Fresh ice
- Martini shaker
- Watermelon slices, for garnish
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Fill the martini shaker half full with fresh ice. Add the watermelon juice and vodka to the shaker.
- Shake martini shaker vigorously at least fifteen seconds. The goal is to have shards of ice float on the top of your watermelon cocktail when you strain the drink into your martini glass.
- Dip the rim of the martini glasses in the lime juice to wet. Dip the moist rims in the salt and sugar mixture to coat the martini glass rim.
- Strain your martini cocktail into the glasses. Garnish each watermelon cocktail with a piece of watermelon perched on the glass rim.
- Float a piece of fresh mint on the top of the watermelon cocktail. Sit back, sip and enjoy.
Tip: These watermelon cocktails are pretty potent and may go down quickly so be aware of how much you drink. Especially after drinking these on a hot summer day, you may find the bed spinning later on that evening…
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.