In tough economic times, many people learn how to make their own wine at home to avoid the high price at the liquor store. While home made wine rarely equals expensive winery brands, the final product is acceptable for everyday drinking or for parties among friends. Best of all, it is ready to drink in 30 days.
To Make Wine at Home, you will need the following.
- 1 gallon milk jug
- 2-64 ounce jars of 100% Grape Juice
- Wine yeast
- Wash and rinse a 1-gallon milk jug. Keep the lid of the jug for later use.
- Pour all but 16 ounces of the grape juice into the milk jug.
- Add 2 cups of sugar to the jug. Place the lid back on the jug and shake to dissolve the sugar in the juice.
- Add 1 package of red wine yeast to the jug. Wine yeast is available at any brew shop or you can look online.
- Take a needle and prick 3 holes in the top of a thick balloon.
- Stretch the neck of the balloon over the top of the milk jug. Use your finger to stuff the remainder of the balloon into the jug.
- Set the jug in a warm area where you can watch it, but where it is not likely to be bumped or moved.
- Watch the balloon. First, it will inflate and stand up straight, as the home made wine fermentation process ends, the balloon will deflate and collapse on the side of the jug.
- Remove the balloon from the jug after it deflates. Place the milk jug lid on the jug and refrigerate until you're ready to drink the wine.
Tips: You can use white or purple grape juice, just ensure that the juice is 100 percent pure juice. You can also use frozen concentrated juice, you'll need 4 cans of frozen juice. Use only 2 cans, instead of 3, when reconstituting the juice. Pour the wine slowly from the milk jug into glasses. This way you won't disturb the sediment on the bottom of the jug from the wine making process.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.