How To Make Wood Hockey Sticks
Learning how to make your own wooden hockey sticks can be a rewarding experience. There’s nothing better than bragging to your buddies about your awesome new wooden hockey stick and informing them that you made it! You may even get requests to begin making more wooden hockey sticks, which can be avenue that could earn you some extra cash. Constructing your own wooden hockey stick is a fun project that with a little patience will go by quickly. If you’re ready to build your own wooden hockey stick, than take a look at this list of items you’ll need:
To build your own hockey stick, you’ll need the following:
- Wooden board
- Electric saw
- Old hockey stick blade
- Wood glue
- Electric drill
- Cut your stick out. To begin building your own wooden hockey stick, cut-out your wood handle. Make sure that you cut out your handle to a width that will adequately fit your palm.
Make sure that the length of the stick will be a size that you’re comfortable playing with.
- Sanding. After cutting out your stick, sand the wood down until it’s smooth.
- Install your blade. Scrap an old hockey stick blade. Make sure to remove any old parts that were attached to the blade before attempting to install it. Attach the blade to the bottom of your stick with wood glue.
- Place screws in your stick. After giving your stick adequate time to dry, pre-drill than drill screws through the bottom of the stick into the blade. Wood glue will not adequately hold your stick and blade in place, so make sure to use multiple screws. Don’t use too many screws or any that are too big, or you may run the risk of splitting your wood!
- Customize your stick. There are many different customizations that you can use to make your stick your own.
- Taping. You can use electrical tape to wrap around your handle, which will add comfort to your stick and give it that excellent vintage look. You should also use this tape to wrap around both your stick and blade connection to strengthen your stick.
- Paint. Painting your stick is also a great way to customize your homemade stick, or you can choose to use a sealer to keep that vintage wood look. There are many other ways to customize your stick too, so don’t limit yourself to just these options!
Make sure that you give the wood glue, paint, sealer, and clear coat adequate time to dry between your steps. Don’t get impatient between steps, or you’ll end up doing more work to fix your mistakes! If you do happen to make any mistakes during this process though, it’s easy to fix them with just a little time. When you’re done customizing your stick, get out on the court and give it a try!