When considering how to make a wooden bat there are a couple of things to keep in mind. The best wooden bats are made with hickory, white ash, maple (made popular by Berry Bond in 2001), and bamboo. It is best that the bat is lathed out of a single piece of wood (except for bamboo which is layered).
- Wood lathe
- Cardboard pattern
- Safety Glasses
- Wood sealant
- Sand Paper
- Pick out a piece of wood to lathe. It needs to be at least four inches by four inches. The length is up to you. There are regulations if you are planning on using it when on a baseball league that will govern how to make wooden bats.
- Make a wooden bat pattern. The easiest way to do this is to borrow a bat from someone. Lay it on the floor on top of your piece of cardboard. For use on a lathe, you will only use the pattern on one side, but that side has to be exactly half.
- Cut the wood according to the specifications in step one. To allow for the added length that will be used to secure the wood to the lathe add four inches to the length that you desire when you are determining how to make a wooden bat.
- Mount the piece of wood to the lathe. Observe all safety rules to avoid injury especially the wearing of safety glasses when making a wooden bat.
- Sanding what you can of the wooden bat while still attached to the lathe. That will save time and sand effort later.
- Using your pattern, lathe your piece of wood to match your pattern. Coming as close as you can, lathe the ends as close as you can for detachment.
- Use a saw to remove the end blocks to avoid creating a break down the side of the bat. If you get one anyway, you will need to start over.
- When making your own bat, check the regulations for specifications on bats that can be used in league games.
- Wrapping the ends of the bat with duct tape will help prevent cracks when detaching the wooden bat from the blocks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.