How To Make A Wooden Oar
Learning how to make a wooden oar at home is not too hard, but you must be able to effectively use certain tools. You will also need an understanding of craftsmanship, and certain, specific material. The following is advice on making a wooden oar at home.
- Piece of hardwood, about one and a quarter inch thick
- Saw, such as table saw or electric hand saw
- Electric sander
Start by buying all of the materials that you need from any home improvement or construction supply store.
- Then, note the dimensions of the paddle. Different sizes are appropriate for different people, so be sure to make one that fits you. It should have a blade (wide part at the end), long shaft and handle, by which you hold it.
Trace the shape of the oar onto the piece of hard wood, going with the grain (this makes the oar sturdier and prevents it from easily breaking).
- Cut the oar shape from the wood. Then, chisel the blade part so that it tapers to about half of an inch in width at its tip.
- Using the electric sander, sand the shaft so that it becomes rounded, and sand the tip's corners to make them slightly rounded. Also, try to round the handle so that it is comfortable.
- Then, hit the entire oar with sandpaper. Make everything smooth. Once you have done this, apply a waterproof finish or wood varnish, and you may put your homemade oar to use!
Learning how to make a wooden oar is not too hard. All you need are the right materials, some time and finesse in your working, and you can make a beautiful oar with which you may man your boat.