How To Make Yom Kippur Food
Learning how to Make Yom Kippur food for the Jewish day of atonement is very important to the Jewish faith. It is the day to cleanse your sins and considered the holiest day of the year. On the actual day of Yom Kippur, it is customary to fast. Before the day, there are traditions related to food. The meal before Yom Kippur is called the Meal of Cessation.
In order to prepare Yom Kippur recipes, you will need:
- Four pounds skinless chicken pieces
- One cup dry bread crumbs
- Two teaspoons paprika
- Half teaspoon garlic powder
- Half teaspoon salt
- Quarter teaspoon pepper
- Packaged gravy
- Two tablespoons oil
- Whole wheat bagels
- Cream cheese or spread
- Vegetables of your choice
- Cake, brownies, or pie
- Breakfast before Yom Kippur is usually light. Toast a whole wheat bagel. Top with your choice of cream cheese or spread. Serve with fresh fruit.
- For dinner, cook chicken. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a shallow pan. In a small plastic bag, mix flour and spices. Wet chicken slightly. Place each piece of chicken in the bag. Shake the bag to coat chicken. Remove the chicken from the bag. Place in the shallow pan. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake in the oven for about an hour. Cook vegetables as a side to serve with the baked chicken dinner. In a small saucepan, prepare gravy as directed according to package. Serve over chicken.
- Dessert should be a special treat. You can have any dessert you would like as long as it is before midnight. Try an apple or cherry pie. For something richer, opt for a chocolate cake or brownies. On Yom Kippur, fasting begins for 24 hours.