Pets, mildew or strong food odors can all leave you wondering how to make your house smell good. There are a lot of different ways to bring a fresh smell to your home and to get rid of bad smells. Some are simple and involving simply bringing a good fragrance in, while others are designed more as a way of getting rid of bad odors. So if you've recently noticed that your house is smelly a little funky, here are some tips on how to make your house smell good.
- Candles. This is one of the easiest ways to make your house smell good. Lightly perfumed candles come in a huge array of fragrances and styles, from regular wax to gel. Even if you don't like the fragrance from candles, burning a plain wax candle can help reduce bad odors in your home.
- Incense. While some people find incense to be too strong or overpowering, there are some lighter scents that work well. This is especially true in larger, open floor plans where the smoke has room to dissipate over a larger area.
- Plug in air fresheners. This is a simple way to bring a nice fresh fragrance to your home. However, some people may find them too expensive for constant use.
- Potpourri. This is another great way to make your house smell good. Dried fruit or floral mixes can be put out in a large bowl to add a light scent to the air. Oils can be heated using special burners for a stronger fragrance.
- Apples and cinnamon. Need to get your house to smell good quickly? Cut up an apple into a pot of water and add a small spoonful of powdered cinnamon or a cinnamon stick. Bring it to a boil, and let it simmer for ten to fifteen minutes. Your whole house will soon smell of fresh baked apple pie.
- Baking Soda. While baking soda doesn't add any fragrance to the air, it works wonders for neutralizing bad smells. Sprinkle it into your carpet and on upholstered furniture and let it sit for as long as you can, overnight is great, then vacuum it up. The baking soda will absorb all sorts of bad odors. (It works great inside tennis shoes, too)
- White Vinegar. Vinegar is another great odor neutralizer. If you have bad cooking smells in the kitchen, pour a half of cup of white vinegar into a small saucepan of water and let boil a few minutes. Or you can simply sit out a small dish of vinegar, bad smells will soon be gone. Vinegar can also be put in a spray bottle, and used to lightly spray around the house to remove most odors. The vinegar smell will disappear rapidly as the vinegar evaporates.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.