If you really want to stand out in the crowd, learn how to make your own belt buckle. Belt buckles can be pretty dull and boring. By creating your own belt buckle, you can put a new twist on a typically boring accessory. Whether you are about making a personal statement or are just in need of a belt buckle you can't find in stores, you can easily make your very own custom belt buckle, designed just the way you like. All you need is a few materials and some time and dedication.
In order to make your custom belt buckle, you will need:
- Sketch pad and pencil
- An old belt buckle with a flat design
Materials of your choice (this can be paint, resins, charms, magazine cut-outs, fabric or rhinestones)
- Tape Measure
- Permanent adhesive
- Use an existing belt buckle. You are saving precious time and also money by designing your new belt buckle from an old one. Think of it as recycling. You are going to want to prepare the old belt buckle. It is important to thoroughly clean the surface, so that the buckle will easily adhere itself to the addition of other elements.
- Sketch your design. You want to create the design before you proceed. You need to have a vision. For example, if you want to create a flag belt buckle you will need to measure the size of the surface and figure out the best way to create the image. The possibilities are endless. You can use a flag sticker or create your own flag image using the computer. Print the image and then attach it to the belt buckle using a metal glue. Another option would be to draw the design on the buckle and then cover it completely with rhinestones. You can purchase crystals backed with a sticky glue that melts when heated along with the electric applicator wand to adhere the beautiful crystals to any surface. If you want to use fabric, measure the size you will need. Be sure to allow extra length in order to trim it to the correct size.
- Add the adhesive. If you want to use fabric or other materials, apply an even layer of adhesive to the buckle facing. You are going to want to position the material directly onto the facing. For a more finished look, wrap the edges of the material over the sides of the buckle. Be sure to smooth out all wrinkles immediately.
- Apply protection. Once the adhesive is dry, apply a think layer of sealant to the new facing. You can purchase various types of sealant. Certain varieties add a shine or gloss, while others are flat and allow the new design to show through vividly.
- Ta-da! Now is the time to show off your new, stylish belt buckle!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.