Learning how to make your own cover scent for deer hunting will be rewarding in that it saves money and works as effectively as commercial products offered in sporting good stores. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to use natural ingredients to make cover scent for deer hunting. Pine is a pleasantly pungent fragrance commonly used in cover scents to mask human odors while hunting. Making your own cover scent provides a more natural disguise free of additives and chemicals that could work against you in your hunting endeavors.
- Wooded area containing pine trees
- Large bucket (2-3 gallon)
- Large pot with lid
- Cooking stove
- Large spoon
- Medium to large container
- Spray bottle
- Gather ingredients. Search a wooded area for pine trees and collect pine bark, small pine branches, twigs, pine cones and pine needles. Fill the bucket full of pine scraps.
- Heat pine scraps to release pine resin and scent. Pour the pine scraps into a large pot (preferably one not used for cooking) and cover completely with water. Place the pot on the stove over medium-high heat and allow contents to come to a boil. When it begins to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover pot with lid. Allow contents to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally then turn off heat and let contents cool. While pine liquid is cooling, rinse out the bucket used to gather pine scraps.
- Strain pine liquid. Place a colander over the bucket and after the pine liquid has cooled sufficiently, pour the contents into the colander to separate the liquid from pine scraps. This will help prevent the spray nozzle from becoming clogged during use. Discard pine scraps.
- Bottle the homemade deer cover scent. Place the funnel into the top of the spray bottle and carefully pour the pine scent into the spray bottle. Replace the spray nozzle and store with hunting gear until ready to use.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?