Ever wonder how to make your own jeans? Blue jeans have been a fashion staple for over 50 years and don’t seem to be going out of style anytime soon. If you have a hard to fit body, you might want to try making your own jeans to save time in the dressing room and money at the register.
Things you will need to make your own jeans:
- Measuring tape
- Denim (about 4 yards)
- Sewing machine
- A friend to help take your measurements (optional)
- Button, zipper or both
- Sharp fabric scissors
- First select a pattern. Take a trip to your local fabric store for this or you can even find free patterns on line. There are many different styles and cuts of jeans available. If you have a pair of jeans that you already love and are experienced in sewing, you could use your jeans to make a pattern.
- Select your denim. Jean grade denim is available at most fabric stores and in a variety of styles. Denim is available in many different shades, colors and ever patterns. Selecting an unusual color or pattern of denim can make your homemade jeans even more unique. The pattern you selected will have information on how much denim you will need. For a typical pair of jeans for an adult male you should purchase around 4 yards of denim. The amount needed depends on the size of the jeans. The pattern you selected will have the recommended amount with a sizing chart.
- Take your measurements. You might need help with this part. Exact measurements are essential in creating a pair of jeans that fit well. Your waist is measured at the fullest part of your hips, which is normally 8 or 9 inches below your waist.
- Fit the pattern to your measurements. The pattern you have selected will have specific instructions for this. Usually you add ¾ inches in the crotch and 2 inches in the hips. You will also probably need to alter the length since this commonly various between people and having jeans the right length is one of the benefits of making your own jeans.
- Wash and dry your denim, unless the denim you selected says it was already preshrunk. If you selected a color denim it might fade. Wash and dry according to the instructions on the denim you selected.
- Cut and sew your fabric. Follow the directions of the pattern you selected. A easy way to trace the pattern on denim is to turn it inside out and trace with chalk. Be sure to only use sharp fabric scissors. Denim is a very thick fabric and dull scissors will not cut it smooth. Make sure that your sewing machine is creating a tight stick on your denim.
- Add buttons or a zipper to finish your jeans. The pattern you selected will have instructions for this.
- Finish your jeans with personal touches. Distressed jeans are still widely popular. An easy way to do this at home is to use sandpaper to distress the fabric.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.