How To Make Your Own Skateboard Decks
Learning how to make your own skateboard decks requires time and skill. You will also need certain materials, and access to a deck mold. Following is how to make your own skateboard decks.
How to Make Your Own Skateboard Decks: Materials
- Eight sheets of wood veneer
- Wood glue
- Saw, such as table saw or electric hand saw
- Grip tape
- Deck mold
How to Make Your Own Skateboard Decks
- First, buy all of the required materials. Grip tape is available at skate shops and the rest of the supplies may be found at home improvement or construction supply stores.
Next, decide on the size of your homemade skateboard deck.
Trace the dimensions of the deck onto the sheets of veneer, and cut the shape out so that you have eight thin strips of wood that are as long and wide as a deck.
- Place wood between the sheets of veneer, and stack them together. Then, immediately after doing this and before the glue has begun to dry, place this in the deck mold. Allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Once the glue has dried, remove the deck from the mold. Sand all of the edges to remove excess dried glue and uneven areas that the homemade skateboard deck may have.
- Then, apply grip tape to the top, and, if you like, paint the bottom. You now have a great homemade deck, and you may repeat the process to make more of them.
Learning how to make your own skateboard decks is a fairly easy process, but it requires time and skill. Once you have made the decks, all you need are trucks and wheels, and then you may actually ride on your homemade boards.