Ever wondered just how to make your own video game for free? Well, as it turns out, it is very cheap (and near free) to make your own video games. The way you make your own video game for free is by downloading software from leaders in the online gaming industry and putting your ideas on the screen. Of course, there are many steps toward getting your own video game, and its not as simple as downloading a program.
Here's what you will need to make your own video game for free:
- A good computer (doesn't have to be the fastest, but reliable)
- Money to buy the programs that are purchasable
- Pen and paper
- Download the programs to your computer. Some of the best gaming software out there include Adobe Flash Professional (for Flash on the computer), XNA (for the Xbox 360), GameMaker (for executable files on the computer), and WiiWare (for the Nintendo Wii). For the purposes of this article we will work with Adobe Flash.
- Plan your game's plot, layout, and game play. If you want your own video game, chances are you already know what it is going to be about. A flow chart and outline are very useful so that you'll know what is going to happen as soon as you start up the program for the first time. Your own video game should be just that: yours. Create the game you want to create.
- Get acquainted with the program. Adobe Flash, for example, has all kinds of widgets and will take a few days to get used to. Don't give up. Your dream of your own video game is just around the corner. Don't be afraid to reach out to communal sites like FlashKit or Newgrounds for help if you're lost. Don't worry, we've all been there.
- Be consistent. This means planning out a schedule. Tell yourself you need to work on your game at least once a day for an hour. For even more organization do a certain part at a time, for example: sprites on Tuesday, animation on Wednesday, characters on Thursday. Work for that entire hour.
- Seek out sponsorships. You've been working hard so you need a good payoff. Well we have just the thing: sponsorships. Places like ArmorGames, XNA, and Crazy Monkey are always looking for new web (and console) content to slap their ol' logo on. Some pay as high (as in the thousands) and others like to rip people off (for the double digits). Armor Games and Mochi Ads are known for their fair and legal use of gaming material. As you sell your own video game, remember that different licenses come with different sponsors; so be aware if you are merely giving them one copy or an exclusive contract.
- Promote. This is the fun part of making your own video game. Search, in Adobe's case, for an online Flash portal and submit your content there. As people play your game, you get rich, famous, and your sponsors now know you were well worth the investment. Next time you create a game, perhaps some interested parties will pay even more than before.
To make your own video game for free you will need determination and some basic supplies, but in the end you are the one who reaps the benefits. Independent game developers all too often fall to the wayside because they forget to force themselves to make their dreams a reality. Make your own video game, and you will see how fun it is to have others sharing in your dreams.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.