Knowing how to make yourself vomit can be quite useful under certain situations, such as after accidentally ingesting a hazardous substance. However, caution must be taken when you make yourself vomit to prevent health problems from arising. This guide will show you how to make yourself vomit, and also explain some of the caveats that are associated with doing so.
Some supplies you may need to make yourself vomit include:
- A vomit bag, or an empty trash can lined with a trash bag
- Water for rinsing
- Locate your uvula. Standing in front of a mirror, open your mouth and locate the dangling flesh at the back of the mouth. This is called the uvula. Behind the uvula is the constrictor muscle.
- Stand over a trash can or other receptacle. If a lined trash can is not available to you, stand over a clean toilet.
- Reach into your mouth with one or two fingers. Use these fingers to touch or caress the constrictor muscle or the uvula. If you do not have a reduced gag reflex this will cause you to vomit.
- When vomiting, keep your head as low as possible in relation to your waist. This position helps to prevent any material from entering the lungs and makes it easier to contain the vomited material.
- Discard the vomit. Once you're done, flush the toilet or tie up the bag and take it to the physician if required.
- Rinse your mouth. Bile is highly acidic. After you have succeeded in making yourself vomit, it is important to rinse your mouth and brush your teeth.
- If you suspect you have swallowed a hazardous substance, food poisoning or an accidental overdose, you should first call your local poison control center before attempting to make yourself vomit.
- Repeated vomiting can lead to serious damage to the esophagus.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.