Knowing how to measure your hips and waist obviously comes in handy when getting sized for clothing, but it also provides the important measurements needed to calculate your waist to hip ratio. Measuring your hips and waist is quick and easy to do with or without help and should be done whenever you lose or gain weight to ensure that your measurements are accurate.
To measure your hips and waist you will need:
a soft tape measure
- Prepare to measure your waist. Remove your top and locate the spot above the top of your hips and below the bottom of your ribcage. In most this will be the narrowest part of the waist, close to or in line with the navel, and is where you will want to measure.
- Wrap the tape measure around your waist. Wrap the tape measure around the appropriate section of your waist as determined in step one. Hold it flat against your skin, but do not wrap it tightly around your midsection.
- Measure your waist size. Read the number that meets the beginning of the tape measure. This is your waist measurement. It can be in inches or centimeters, but use the same unit of measurement for both your waist and your hips. Record this measurement.
- Prepare to measure your hips. Remove your bottoms—form fitting undergarments are okay to leave on—and locate the widest point between your waist and the upper part of your legs. This is where you will want to take your hip measurement.
- Wrap the tape measure around your hips. Wrap the tape measure around the appropriate section of your hips as determined in step four. Hold it flat against your skin, but do not pull it taut.
- Measure your hips. Read the number that meets the beginning of the tape measure. This is your hip measurement. Make sure you use the same unit of measurement as you used for your waist measurement. Record this measurement.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.