How To Meet Gay Friends
Learning how to meet gay friends is essential to living a committed and healthy lifestyle. When you fully embrace your sexuality and get involved in the LGBT community, you will find a support group that is completely accepting and understanding. Sure, having close heterosexual friends can be great, but learning how to meet gay friends is a must if you wish to grow and develop. When you create a support group of people who share your same beliefs and preferences, you create a place where you can be yourself and feel at ease.
- Look for a copy of a local gay-sponsored magazine, newspaper or newsletter. Many communities, both small and large, have publications dedicated to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered lifestyle. These publications often list events containing the locations of many gay-sponsored events. Attending these events is a great way to meet gay friends.
- Put yourself out there. Chances are, if you are gay, you have the ability to spot other gay people. So start taking note of these folks and strike up a conversation with them. Treat them like you would anyone else and if there is a chance at a friendship, one will spark.
- Find a gay or homosexual support group. If you are still having trouble locating other gay friends in your community, try a support group. Groups like Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) are full of great support systems. They allow you to lean on other members of the gay community and meet friends.
- Go online. The internet carries many worthwhile resources for people struggling to find and immerse themselves in the gay community. Take advantage of any and all of these resources to meet friends.
- Check out the personals or go to a bar. Last, when looking to meet gay friends, do it the old-fashioned way. Look at the personals in the newspaper or take out an ad yourself. You can also try visiting a gay bar. This a great way to put yourself in direct contact with others and meet a few people.