Socks aren't the most expensive article of clothing that you'll ever wear, but even so, there may come a time when you need to know how to mend socks. Imagine that you have a favorite or lucky pair and as you're about to pull them on, you notice a hole in the toe. Do you just wear it as is, or because you've learned to mend socks ahead of time, do you correct the problem and wear them minus your big toe peeking through? Learning how to mend socks is not difficult and doesn't require a sewing machine or any great talent with a needle and thread. With just a few minutes of your time, you can have your sock on your foot and back in like-new condition.
What you'll need to mend socks:
- Turn the sock inside out. Locate the hole with your finger and turn the sock inside out. By inverting the sock, your stitching skills (or lack of) will be less visible and the mended sock will look more natural.
- Thread the needle. Before you can start to mend socks, you'll need to thread your needle. Unwind a length of thread and snip the tip so that it can easily pass through the eye of your needle. Pull the thread through the eye and close the open end of the thread by creating a small knot.
- Stitch the sock. Hold the ends of the hole or tear together and push the needle through the material of the sock, pulling until the knot that you created prevents you from going any further. Loop the needle back, pulling it through the other side. Repeat this process until you have completely closed the hole.
- Close the stitch. With your scissors, cut the thread, leaving enough length for you to tie a knot. It is important when learning to mend socks that you close the end of your stitch completely to prevent the stitch from coming undone.
- Turn the sock back to its right side. Inspect the sock to be certain that the hole is closed completely. The great thing about mended socks is that it doesn't have to look perfect for it to work. Once you've verified that you've successfully closed the tear, you're all done and ready to tackle any sock in need of mending.
Only use thread that matches your socks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.