How To Modify GM 700R4 Automatic Transmissions
So you want to learn how to modify a GM 700r4 automatic transmission? The GM 700r4 automatic transmission is popular in street rods. Although this task may seem difficult a few simple steps will have you GM 700r4 automatic transmission modified and ready to run.
To modify a GM 700r4 automatic transmission, you will need:
- Parts Cleaner
- Wrench set
- Rachet Set
- Cleaning. The first thing you want to do is take the GM 700R4 automatic transmission apart and clean it. Make sure you don’t need to replace anything before you rebuild it.
- The shift kit. A GM 700R4 automatic transmission from the factory was made to slip the clutches and make smooth easy shift. A shift kit disables the transmission from slipping the clutches thus reducing heat, making your clutches last longer and makes the transmission shift faster.
- The Corvette servo. A Corvette servo is a hydraulically actuated piston that puts more pressure on the clutches also making it shift quicker and more consistent.
- The manual valve body conversion. A GM 700R4 automatic transmission from the factory does not have shifters to change gears. A manual conversion puts a shifter on the floor so you can shift gears manually.
- A torque converter. A torque converter under foot braking will load the converter to a certain RPM (1500-4000rpm usually) to build power for a harder faster launch. They also make for more fun cars on the street.
- The clutch pack kits. New clutch packs will make the GM 700R4 automatic transmission shift faster, launch faster, and possibly hold more power.
- A new transmission. A new transmission can be purchased or send yours in to be professionally built. Buying a new transmission will cost more but is a brand-new transmission with 0 miles. A new transmission can have 350-400hp to 800-900hp just take out of the crate. Add the torque converter of your choice, connect it to the motor and driveshaft and go drive.