Harley riders, learn how to mount a new gas tank on you cycle. Remove the gas tank from your Harley if you need to get dents or scratches fixed. If it is not the dents and scratches then you might want to get the tank painted again. In any case it is necessary to consider your own safety first, while you remove the soft tail tank even though removing it is pretty easy. First disconnect the battery terminals and drain the fuel before you start off with the draining of the gas. This would also entail removal of the seat altogether.
Things you’ll need to mount a Harley gas tank:
- Cross tipped screwdriver
- 10 mm wrench
- Nut driver
- Flat tipped screwdriver
- Vacuum nipple
- Hand pump
- Fuel pipe
- Fuel can
- Ratchet wrench
- Using a crossed tip screwdriver, remove the screws on the fastener over the fender that holds the seat together.
- The metallic part which goes into the frame needs to be disengaged from the frame and to do this the pull its seat to the rear portion of the bike. As you reach the end of this movement, the seat gets disengaged as you lift it up. Keep the seat aside now.
Using a 10 mm wrench remove the negative terminal of the battery.
- Fuel petcock has a handle with “on” and “off” positions on it. Put it to the “off” position.
- Using a nut driver, loosen the outlet pipe coming through the petcock. As you do this, the petcock is pulled free. Now use a flat tip screwdriver for taking out the vacuum pipe from the vacuum nipple located on the petcock.
- Now position a fuel pipe into the output nipple of the petcock. Hold the fuel pipe in a way that the other side reaches into a fuel can.
- Put the position of the petcock handle to "reserve."
- Now join a hand pump directly to the vacuum nipple using a small pipe. As you apply the appropriate negative pressure using the pump, the gas flows easily into the fuel can. The gas completely is drained out into the can.
Using a wrench and by turning the hex on the fuel petcock anti-clockwise, remove it from the lower portion of the gas tank.
- Using a wrench, remove the center fastener located over the instrument panel. Unplug the other electrical fasteners especially the ones located between the fuel tank and the instrument. Now take out the panel and kept aside for a while.
- Using a screwdriver, loosen the brackets over the fuel line. Remove it completely.
- Using a ratchet wrench, take out the mounting bolts located over the tank. Now remove the vent line from the gas tank.
Lift up the gas tank from the bike.
- Connect the gas tanks in just the opposite manner. Join the fuel tank back to the Harley bike and check the areas where leakage of gas is likely.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?