Planning and patience are needed when you are learning how to move a baby grand piano. It will be a slow process to ensure a good outcome. It is also important the owner of the piano understand the risks involved by moving the piano themselves instead of hiring a professional piano mover.
Things you will need:
- Three strong friends
- Furniture pads
- Padded piano board/dolly
- Soft cloth
- Moving straps
- Masking tape
- Get enough help. You will need at least three people to move a baby grand piano. More people may be needed if you will be going up or down stairs.
- Remove the music rack. This can be moved from its tracks by pulling forward.
- Detach the lid. Remove the hinge pins by carefully pulling them out with pliers. Cover the pliers with a piece of cloth to cover the jagged edges. This will help prevent damage to the pins and the wood. Because of the size of the lid, you will need at least two people to complete this step.
- Remove the lid prop. The lid prop should consist of two separate pieces being held by a hinge pin. Remove the pin in the same manner as the pins for the lid.
- Disconnect the pedal assembly. There are braces at the end of the pedal assembly. Carefully remove the screws and take out the braces. Label each brace as you take it apart with masking tape and a pen. This will help the re-assembly process after the baby grand piano has been moved.
- Cover the piano with furniture pads. Cover the top of the baby grand piano and the keyboard with soft furniture pads. Use stretch-wrap to hold the padding in place.
- Removing the front legs and place the piano on the padded moving board. With at least two people holding the baby grand piano, a third person will remove the front legs and assist in placing the padded moving board under the piano. Lower the piano onto the board and lift the piano to an upright position.
- Remove the back legs and strap the baby grand piano. With the piano on the board and tipped up, remove the back legs. Use the piano board straps to secure it in place.
- Move the piano. Using the padded piano board, slide the piano to the desired location. Use hump straps to lift it if you need to move the piano up or down stairs.