If you’re interested in how much does the president make, you might be surprised at the answer. The position of President of the United States (or POTUS for short) is probably the most powerful job in the world. It also is probably the most stressful; this can be observed as presidents seem to age a decade for every four year term they serve. The many perks that come with the job also have to be included in any answer to the question. So here’s a list of everything that can be comprised into an answer on how much the president makes.
- Salary – The yearly salary for the President of the United States is $400,000 per year. The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1999. It went into effect in 2001 and George W. Bush was the first president to earn the new salary. Prior to that, the presidential salary had been at $200,000 a year since 1969. If adjusted for inflation, that would be the equivalent of $1,175,000 today—almost three times less than what was made 40 years ago.
- Expense account – Part of the president’s compensation package includes a $50,000 a year expense account. It is to be for “job-related” expenses, but one can argue that almost anything the president purchases is job-related.
- Travel expenses – The President of the United States also gets an annual $100,000 non-taxable travel account. Since the president has Air Force One to fly him anywhere he needs to go and has various limousines and official drivers, this expense is a bit superfluous.
- Entertainment account – The POTUS also gets an annual $19,000 entertainment account. A president would use this if, for instance, he’s in New York City and would like to see a Broadway show with the family. He could use their own personal money or use the entertainment account.
- Perks – The president has some great perks. He has a 55,000 square foot mansion to live in that has 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, eight staircases, three elevators, five full-time chefs, a tennis court, a single-lane bowling alley, a movie theater, a jogging track, a swimming pool, and a putting green. He has his own personal air force and twenty-four hour protective services in the form of the Secret Service as well as housekeeping, doctors, barbers and a snack anytime he wants one.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!