Picking how much weight to start in dumbbell workouts require a bit of practice and estimation. It takes a bit of practice to figure out how much weight you should use for dumbbell workouts, but over time you will become more intuitive to how much weight you should lift. Generally, beginners should start light to focus on form and prevent injuries.
Things you'll need:
- Set of weights
- Pick a particular exercise and determine how many reps you want to perform. If you are going for tone and strength, go for ten to fourteen reps. If your goals are more focused on bulking and building muscles, aim for five to eight reps.
- Choose a weight that has a median level of heaviness. It should not be too light or too heavy. Perform one of your exercises, paying close attention to how the muscle you are working feels at the end of your set.
- If you feel like you can perform more sets in your dumbbell workout, increase the amount of weight by five pounds and perform another set. If five pounds is too heavy, try increasing the amount of weight by one or two pound weights at a time if you have them.
- If you could not finish your set or you relied on momentum to lift the weight, reduce the amount of weight by five pounds and perform another set. If five makes the weight too light, try decreasing the amount of weight by one or two pound weights at a time if available.
- Keep performing step three or four until you settle on a weight you can only lift for the desired number of reps. The final rep should be challenging, but not impossible to finish.
Overtime, especially within the first few weeks, your strength should increase and you may need to increase the amount of reps or how much weight you lift for your dumbbell workout again. However, given you will have some experience under your belt, adjusting how much weight you use for your dumbbell workout should become easier.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.