How Not To Act On A First Date
Need to know how not to act on a first date? If the beautiful girl you met in line at the bank last week finally said yes, you're looking at a crucial first date. Tonight’s the big night. You bought the new shirt, washed the car and applied cologne, but you can’t fight your nerves. What if she hates your jokes? What if you spill something? What if the date ends horribly? Relax. Modern dating is more casual and relaxed, so there’s no need for melodrama. But there are still some pretty solid guidelines you’ll want to follow so that the date begins and ends on a good note.
- If you’re meeting your date somewhere, do not show up late. Being late to a first date makes you look unreliable and shows a lack of respect for her time. Plus, if she becomes annoyed while having to wait on your arrival, then the date automatically starts off on the wrong foot. Not good.
- Don’t talk about yourself too much. It’s easy to get nervous and start rambling a little, but if possible, try to steer the conversation towards common interests, and make sure you do just as much listening as you do talking. Your date will feel like you really want to get to know her.
- Don’t throw chivalry out the window. Modern women are strong and independent, but that doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate gentlemanly ways. Hold the door open for her, pull out her chair and, most important of all, pick up the check. This is a first date, and first impressions are important!
- Don’t bring out the "ex-file." Talking about past relationships during a first date is a no-no. It could make you seem like you’re bitter, or still hurting. Either scenario is not attractive. Baggage (emotional or otherwise) is not sexy!
- Don’t pad your dating resume. Lying to impress your date is always a no-no. If you really hit it off and she finds out something you said about yourself isn't true, you'll look like a complete jerk.
- Don’t get drunk! It’s easy to want to rely on a little “liquid courage” to help you loosen up and relax, but for at least the first date, try to refrain. You don't want to appear sloppy or out of control.
No matter how may dating rules you follow or break, perhaps the most important thing is to just be yourself. And have fun!