Every man should know how to open a bottle of champagne safety. Whether you are having a romantic night in a hotel with your girlfriend or wife or celebrating at a New Years Eve party, keeping the people around you safe when opening a bottle of bubbly is of utmost importance. You sure don't want to poke an innocent bystanders eye out with a champagne cork nor do you want to give the girl you are trying to impress a champagne bath. Here are some tips to keep the cork and champagne from flying:
- Chill the bottle of champagne. Warm champagne can increase the pressure inside the bottle.
- Although it is quite tempting to shake the bottle, just don't! This causes the cork to have increased missile speed when opening.
- Utilize a towel to act as a shield should the cork or some champagne accidentally fire.
- Tilt the bottle away from people to serve as an additional safety precaution when opening a bottle of champagne.
- Hold the bottle at a 45 degree angle.
- Remove the thin foil cover that is around the neck and opening of the bottle of champagne.
- Unwind the wire.
- For the right-hander, hold the cork tightly in your left hand, while holding the bottom of the bottle with your right hand. If you are a lefty, then switch hands.
- Slowly twist the bottom of the bottle of champagne. Remember to hold the cork firmly to avoid it flying off uncontrollably.
Never use a corkscrew to open a bottle of champagne. That is just another object that can be used as a missile.
If you have performed these steps correctly, you should hear the classic "POP" sound without poking someone's eye out. These steps should also help to avoid losing any of that precious bubbly. Just remember, opening a bottle of champagne safely isn't everything. You also need to know how to properly drink it, but that's another article.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.