How To Open Champagne Properly
If you've never opened a bottle of champagne then one thing you need to know before you attempt it is how to open champagne properly. We've all seen how champagne corks can fly across the room and potentially become very dangerous. It can also spew out of control. This article will guide you on how to safely and properly open a bottle of champagne.
To open a bottle of champagne properly, you will need:
- hand towel or dish towel
- Remove the foil. On the top of every champagne bottle, except for the lower end brands, will be a foil covering. This covering hides the wire restraint. Remove and discard the foil.
- Remove the wire restraint. Carefully untwist the wire restraint. This restraint secures the cork into place so that it doesn't accidently pop out. Although when you remove the wire restraint the champagne cork shouldn't pop out, it is still wise to keep a firm thumb on top of the cork to be on the safe side. Discard the wire restraint.
- Wrap the bottle neck. Place a hand towel or dish towel securely around the neck of the champagne bottle and one hand around the base of the bottle.
- Twist the bottle. Be sure to angle the champagne bottle away from people and objects. The proper way to remove the cork from the champagne bottle is to grab the cork with the towel and gently turn the bottle until the cork is loose. You will hear a pop or a "whoof" sound when the cork is completely loose. Remove it from the bottle's neck.
- Serve immediately. Champagne is best served as soon as the bottle is opened.