How To Open An Online Individual Retirement Account
Save for the future by learning how to open an online individual retirement account. Opening an online individual retirement account is great step in securing your future. The earlier you start the more money you will have. Opening an Online individual account is easy, but you must decide whether it will be a Traditional or Roth IRA, where you will open the account, and what type of funds will be invested in it.
- Decide between a Roth IRA or a Traditional IRA. When opening an online Individual Retirement account you have to decide if it will be a Roth IRA or a Traditional IRA. The difference is simple. The Roth taxes i initial contributions on an annual basis, but does not tax the account when you withdraw funds at retirement. So you don’t pay taxes when you retire. This is great news and if you are jointly with a spouse and have income at or below $176,000 a year or a single filer earning $120,000 or less because you qualify for this plan. If not, no problem, you can still open a Traditional IRA and not incur any taxes until you withdraw money at retirement. This is the exact opposite of a Roth.
- Decide how to fund it. There are many discount brokers available online. Sometimes it is best to choose among a fund family. These companies offer tools to help you discover your tolerance level regarding risk and often offer the lowest fees. Mutual funds tend to be less risky than stocks because of the sheer diversification of the mutual fund. If you decide to invest in mutual funds, there are many fund screeners that will help you narrow down your selections. You can also find information on individual stocks and bonds which can also be included.
- Decide where to open it. Keeping your account with a single fund company makes your life easier when opening an online individual retirement account. For example, once you decide on a fund family, you would simply go to their web site and use their screening tools. This will narrow down the selection process for you. You can also call the representative if you had any additional questions and ask for a Prospectus that outlines all the information regarding the fund.
- Fill out the application. In order to open an account online, you first have to fill out an application. Be ready to provide your employer’s name and address, Social Security, email, and address. You will also be asked to supply an answer to a security question and include a strong password.
- Pay by check or direct deposit. In order to open an online individual retirement account you must decide if you will simply mail in your contributions or take advantage of direct deposit. Most of the fund companies require a minimum to invest in their fund. These figures can be as low as $3,000 or as high as $10,000, but if you decide on the direct deposit option, most will waive that requirement. Also, using the direct deposit option ensures that you will continue to fund the account and save more money.
Opening an online Individual retirement account is easy. Just remember to do your homework and get started.