Want to learn how to open a tattoo shop? Tattoos are very popular–watch any show from "Orange County Choppers" to "Ghost Hunters" on the Sci Fi channel and you'll see. If you want to profit from the current tattoo craze across the United States, you may be considering a tattoo shop. Read on to find out just what opening a tattoo shop involves.
Things you'll need:
- Health and safety certificate
- Tattoo license / state permit
- First aid certificate
- Ultrasonic cleaner
- Biohazard waste disposal
- You need to meet health code requirements. Contact your local health office and county health department to find out what you need to do in order to be in compliance. These things vary from one jurisdiction to another, but it is likely you'll need a health and safety certificate, a tattoo license, a first aid certificate and arrangements made for your needles, such as arranging pick-up of used needles–a biohazard–with your local hazards center. An ultrasonic cleaner to sterilize needles is needed as well as permission from local authorities.
- Check with your state's Department of Health. There are state health requirements for opening a tattoo shop, in addition to requirements by local authorities. You will likely have to have a state permit to open a tattoo shop and have that permit visible in your shop at all times. Contact your state offices to find out what the requirements are so you can be sure to meet all state requirements. Some states require you to pass a test and most, if not all, will require you to get a license. Comply with rules and regulations set forth by the Commissioner of Health and local authorities including county, city, town and county.
- Hire a licensed tattoo artist if you aren't one. You'll need to hire one or more tattoo artists if you aren't planning on doing the tattoos yourself.
- Find a location. You will have to meet local building codes and you will have to pass a risk assessment of the building where the shop will be.
- Complete regular new business requirements. You may need to register a DBA or doing business as certificate, open a bank account for your business, get a business license (if necessary), write up a business plan, get financing,and perform all steps that you would need to complete for any new business.
Opening a tattoo shop is serious business. If you tattoo someone under the age of consent, you will be in violation of a state's penal code. You are dealing with needles that can carry infection and tattoo inks that can cause allergic reactions. These needles have to be properly sterilized and disposed of. Your entire shop needs to be sterile and you have to meet state and local requirements. If you want to open a tattoo shop, be prepared to do a lot of research and preparation.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!