How To Open Your Xbox
When you get tired of staring at the same-old black Xbox case, and you want to install your Xbox hardware inside a fashionable case, before you start ripping things apart, you'll need to learn how to open your Xbox. Your Xbox system is made from some of the same components as a computer, but the Xbox system is a little tougher to get into than your computer is, since the Xbox wasn't designed to be opened by the general public. In that same vein, it is important to remember that when you open your Xbox, you will void your warranty and will be unable to have any defects resolved by Microsoft.
Tools that you will need:
- T10 screwdriver
- T20 screwdriver
- X-acto knife
- Turn the Xbox over. Remove any cables and controllers from the unit. You should never open your Xbox while it is plugged in.
- Remove the four corner screws from the Xbox. To access these screws, you will have to pull back on the rubber feet that cover the screws. You will have to use your T20 screwdriver for these screws.
- Remove the two center screws from the Xbox. You will have to pull back the inner edges of the "Xbox" sticker and the bar code sticker with your X-acto knife to get to these screws. These are also T20 screws.
- Turn your Xbox over carefully, and the pull up on the top to remove it.
- Remove the IDE cable from the back of the hard disk drive, located on the right side of the Xbox. Also remove the two cables in the back of the DVD drive, on the left side. Finally, release the hard disk drive power cable from its clasps on the right side of the hard disk.
- Remove the screw located to the left of the hard disk drive, near the back side. Then remove the two screw on the front two corners of the DVD drive.
- Pull up on the hard drive to remove it. Then do the same thing to the DVD drive. Your Xbox motherboard is now exposed, and you have opened your Xbox.