How To Paint A Door
Are you trying to learn how to paint a door to improve its appearance? A door is usually the first thing that people see when they walk into a house or a room, so it is important that you keep it up and that it always looks nice. Although painting a door is a lot easier than painting an entire room, you still must be careful and pay attention to all the details, because the quality is in the details. Here are some basic steps to follow to learn how to paint a door.
To paint a door, you will need:
- paint brushes
- masking tape
- putty and putty knifes
- Take the door off of its hinges. Once you take the door down, lay it across a flat surface table to paint. This will give you easier access and a better angle to paint the door. Then, remove or cover up the door knob and locks on the door with masking tape.
- Fill in any cracks or holes. If you see any noticeable cracks or holes in the door, fill them in with putty. Take a putty knife to smooth out the area, and then use sand paper to sand the area to make it as even as possible. Also sand down any other noticeable grooves in the door.
- Apply a coat of primer. If you had to do a lot of sanding and fill in a lot of holes, it is important to apply a coat of primer first. Make sure to allow it to completely dry before painting the door.
- Apply the paint. Use a brush or roller to apply the paint evenly and cover the entire door. If you have indentations or designs in the door, paint those first and go over the area using continuous long strokes, and then continue to paint out toward the edges. Do not allow the paint to dry when painting the details of the door, this could leave bad streaks.
- Paint one side of the door at a time. Once you paint one side of the door, allow it to dry (overnight if possible). Turn the door over to paint the other side in the same fashion, and then allow it to dry as well. Depending upon how well the paint covers the door apply either one or two coats.