Instead of throwing away an old football helmet, learn how to paint a football helmet instead. Considering the high price of football helmets, throwing it away is simple not a financially smart option. But by learning how to paint a football helmet, you can save money and get a brand new looking helmet in just one day.
Supplies needed to paint a football helmet:
- Sponge or rag
- Clean cloth
- Spray paint (color of your choice)
How to paint a football helmet:
- Clean. The first step in learning how to paint a football helmet, is to get the outer area nice and clean. You'll want to remove all traces of dirt and/or mildew. This can be done by mixing roughly one gallon of cold water with 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar. Thoroughly wash down the outside of the helmet and allow it to dry completely.
- Sand. In order for the new paint to stick to your helmet, you'll want to lightly sand the surface with sandpaper. This will rough up the helmet slightly, and give the paint something to adhere to.
- Spray. The next step in learning how to paint a football helmet is to spray the helmet with spray paint. Be sure to use a spray paint that is approved for indoor/outdoor use, and also pay a little extra for spray paint that will deter rust. Rustoleum is a good choice as it is heavy-duty, but looks slick and shiny when dry. Spray the entire football helmet evenly, working 10" – 12" away from the helmet.
- Dry. Do NOT touch the helmet until it is dried completely. Allow it to sit in a well ventilated area for several hours.
Once you have successfully learned how to paint a football helmet, the helmet should look smooth and brand new. If the paint has streaked or dripped, re-sand the surface and repaint.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …