How To Paint A Wall Mural
Turn a boring bedroom or office into an exciting one by learning how to paint a wall mural. Choose a design that reflects your personality or a scene from your favorite painting or movie. If you are not so confident in your drawing skills, have a friend who is sketch the image on the wall and simply fill in the wall mural with paint.
To paint a wall mural, you will need:
- Drop cloth
- Painter's tape
- Paint brush
- Sketch pad and pencil
- Wall paint in your choice of colors
- Paint rollers and additional brushes
- Clear varnish
- Measure the dimensions of the wall. Scale the wall dimensions so that they fit in your sketchbook. For instance, if the wall measures nine feet high by twelve feet wide and your sketchbook is nine inches by twelve inches, each inch in the sketchbook represents a foot.
- Sketch your design to scale in the sketchbook. Keep sketching until you have a design you like.
- Cover the floor with a drop cloth and move any furniture out of the way. Put painter's tape around the edges and corners of the wall.
- Paint the wall with a coat of primer. Let it dry for several hours of overnight.
- Transfer the sketched design to the wall, keeping in mind the scale. Step away from the wall and examine the sketch to make sure it looks all right on the wall. Make any adjustments before you begin painting.
- Paint the wall mural. You may find it easier to apply one color at a time or to paint a small section of the wall mural at one time. Take a step back every so often and look at the wall mural to make sure it looks all right. When finished, let the paint dry overnight.
- Apply a coat of varnish to protect the mural. Allow to dry for a few hours, then show your new wall mural off to your friends.