How To Partition Your Hard Drive
Need to know how to partition your hard drive? Well, you don't need to be a computer expert to partition a hard drive. There are different ways you can partition the hard drive, either in Windows or in DOS. It really is easy. However, you do want to make sure that you have backed up your information from your hard drive before getting started, since it is possible you could lose important information and not be able to recover it. So after you have backed everything up, let's get started.
- Computer management. The first thing you will want to do is find "Computer Management" under "Administrator Tools." Note: if you are using two hard drives you can partition the hard drive in Windows. If this is not the case and you have only one hard drive, it is recommended to run the partition by booting into DOS since you could end up with a black screen that won't let you move further in the process once you get started.
- Disk management. In "Disk Management" you will see all the hard drive information and the details of the hard drive or drives. Next you will want to select the hard drive by clicking on it. After selecting the hard drive you then have options. Before you can do anything you will have to delete the partitions, then you can select to re-partition the hard drive. You could either partition the hard drive with one partition or multiple partitions. It is up to you.
- Format. After partitioning the hard drive you will need to format. Then you are done. It's as easy as that.
- Boot to DOS. Use a bootable floppy disk or CD/DVD disk. Then at the prompt, type in "fdisk."
- Fdisk. The first screen will ask you a yes or no question, just say yes to it. Then you will see the fdisk menu. The rest is self explanatory. You will have the option to delete the current partitions, then you can create a new partition. After you are done, just format the hard drive and you are ready to use the hard drive.
- Application folder. First go to the application folder since it will take you to the utilities; open this up. Next you will want to select by double-clicking the disk utility. This will open up a new window.
- Disk utility. Select the hard drive you wish to partition. Then click on the partition tab.
- Partition tab. You have the option to choose the number of partitions or you could just do one basic partition. To select your option, go to the drop-down menu called "Volume Scheme." The rest is self-explanatory. Have fun!