Need to know how to pay for college living expenses? Paying for college living expenses has become increasingly difficult with the rise of tuition. Living costs continue to rise as well, placing a burden on students and parents. Students accumulate thousands of dollars in debt when paying for these expenses. Learn how to pay for college living expenses by following these simple steps.
- Create a budget. It is always important to plan ahead. Parents should sit down with their children and have a conversation about budgeting. Spending habits can easily spiral out of control in college. Credit cards, fast food and shopping can easily chip away at account balances. Kids need to be taught the value of each dollar that is spent.
- Apply for scholarships. This is a fantastic way to pay for college living expenses. Students with good grades and test scores and remarkable abilities are often paid money for attending schools. Maintaining good academic performance and citizenship increases eligibility.
- Get a part- time job. Make some extra cash to cover food, text books and school supplies. A good paying part-time job can also help pay for rent and utilities for students who chose to live off campus. Libraries, computer labs, book stores and coffee shops are good places to start.
- Sell essays and writing prompts to freelance websites. Students write several papers every year! After those assignments are graded, edit them and submit them to various freelancing sites for payment. Get paid for all that hard work!
- Seek federal aid. Complete the FAFSA. The U.S. government gives away billions of dollars in grants every year to college students. The FAFSA is also important because schools use it to evaluate scholarship eligibility.
- Open a savings account. Save money from those plush summer paychecks for future college living expenses. When a student saves $500, the money should be placed in a money market fund.
Following these tips will help students pay for college expenses. A student should be cautious and adapt to the financial situation he is faced with.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.