If you happen to be an authority on the subject of gardening or fruit in general, you’d probably never need to know how to pick a good watermelon. However, that probably isn’t the case today and you’re probably in need of a little assistance with finding that perfect melon. Instead of standing in the grocery store indecisively staring into the watermelon bin, educate yourself on picking a good watermelon and finding the perfect candidate.
To pick a good watermelon, you will need:
- A sense of awareness
- Begin by tapping the watermelon with your knuckles. What sound do you hear from the watermelon? Is it a dull thud or does it sound like it might have a bit of hollowness to it? Typically, to pick a good watermelon, you will want to listen for a slight hollow sound when tapped with your knuckles.
- Check for symmetry. When you stop to think about a good watermelon, you might picture a large, round melon with rich color. Because of this, you should try to stay away from watermelons that have uneven shapes. However, this tip shouldn't confuse you and make you think that an oval shape is bad. A round shape in general is fine, but if one side seems to be fuller than the other, it might be time to put that baby back.
- Check for firmness. Take a few seconds to press your fingers into different spots on the watermelon. It should feel firm in every spot that you push. Soft spots are not typical qualities of a good watermelon.
- Pay attention to the color of the watermelon. Watermelons that have darker colors have more of a tendency to be sweeter in taste than watermelons that are lighter. While the colors aren’t exactly warning signs, this is basically a matter of preference.
- Check the ripeness of the watermelon. If you look around on the melon’s surface, you’ll find a spot that is a bit discolored. Checking this spot’s color will help to determine whether the fruit is ripe yet or not. Typically, a light green spot indicates that the melon is not ripe yet. However, if you find that the spot has a yellow or cream color to it, it’s more than likely ripe.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.