How To Place A Bet On A Baseball Game
When it comes to watching baseball, it can be to learn how to place a bet on a baseball game. Betting on a baseball game can be done a myriad of ways from picking the outright winner, to betting with the spread, betting on team totals and more. Here is a look at how to bet on a baseball game so that you can cheer your favorite team and make some money on them as well.
- Find a betting location. It should be noted that betting on sports in many areas of the United States is illegal. You must seek out a location such as Las Vegas where betting on baseball is legal to make your bets. Betting illegally can get you into trouble. Learn how to place a bet on a baseball game where it is considered legal.
- Locate the spread. Baseball betting is very similar to betting on other team sports. The bookmakers will release a spread for the baseball game. The spread seeks to even the two teams playing based on a host of factors such as a team’s winning percentage, who is pitching and intangibles like who is on a hot streak. Look-up the spread for the desired game to place a bet on a baseball game.
- Decide on a bet. You can bet the spread, which means a team must win by, or lose by a certain amount of runs in order for your to win. You can bet the “money line” which means you are betting for a team to win or lose outright. Or you may also bet on run totals for one team or for both teams combined. This last bet is referred to as the “over-under” bet.
- Place the wager. Commit your betting capital on the wager you chose. Different bets will garner different winning outcomes. For instance if you are betting the money line on a heavy underdog, a $50 bet might win you $500. If you are betting the spread, then you are essentially betting even money where a $50 bet will return about the same amount of money to you. The same goes for betting the over-under totals.
- Decide if you want to buy additional points or runs. A bettor can alter their bet by buying or giving runs. For instance if someone is betting the spread on the favorite, but they have to win by 3 runs, the bettor may decide to “buy down” a run so that the team only has to win by 2 runs. They bettor will ultimately win less money for that bet, however, if the team wins by 2 runs they are a winner versus if they took the bet on 3 runs.
- Pay the juice. The juice refers to the amount of money that the book maker or the casino makes when place a bet on a baseball game. The juice is a small percentage of money that is taken off the win of a bet. So if you place a $50 bet for the favorite to win by the spread, and you win, rather than receiving $100, you might receive $95. The $5 is the juice. Be sure to figure in the juice as you learn how to place a bet on a baseball game.
- Decide if you want to make exotic bets. When you learn how to place a bet on a baseball game, the casino may offer other exotic bets that are non-traditional. For instance the casino might offer odds on how many strikeouts the pitcher might have, how many hits a particular team might have, or who will be the first team to score. The odds on these bets obviously vary depending on how likely they are to occur. For instance the first team to score would be close to even money because it will happen, while a bet on one player hitting 3 home runs would give large odds because it is unlikely to happen.
- Collect your money or bet again. After the wager has been made with casino, get the results. Congrats! You have just learned how to place a bet on a baseball game.