Learning how to plan cheap Dominican Republic travel is an easy task because there are so many wonderful deals for flights, transport while there, and cheap accommodations throughout this most geographically diverse country that covers the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola in the Caribbean. Research online and you will find exactly the location to which you would enjoy going, where you can stay on a budget, and what type of surroundings you prefer. There is everything from mountains, jungles, tropical rain forests, deserts, white beaches, caves, and much more.
- Cheap flights are easiest to find during the off season, which runs from April through November. April and May finds the weather still warm and sunny. It is highly recommended that Americans register with the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo and obtain updated travel and security information. That suggestion would apply to other countries as well.
- Getting around the island can be done cheaply by using a scooter, moped, or the reliable and comfortable buses.
- You might want to consider combining volunteer projects with adventure at a discounted price through the International Student Volunteers. This USA non-profit organization offers a program to enable you to work building infrastructure and help establish children's educational programs.
- Budget hotels and apartments can save you a lot of money. Some will even include a meal plan for one or more meals a day. You will not have the amenities of a five-star resort, but you would not expect the accommodations to be that fancy.
- The Freeman Aparta Hotel in Santo Domingo has apartments that are furnished, are kept nice and clean, and have an equipped kitchen. They offer a pick-up service from the airport. (Av. 4ta. No. 4, respaldo los tres ojos, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
- The Maison Gautreaux in Santo Domingo was the home of a respected Dominican family. It has 16 air-conditioned rooms, most with refrigerators. It is close to the Malecon, the seafront boulevard that always has action happening. There are sandwich shops, restaurants, casinos, discos, and functions such as concerts, outdoor dances, and parades. (Fellix Mariano Lluberes #8, Gazcue, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
- Barefoot Beachpad in Cabarete on the northern coast is a small beachfront three-star hotel. The large studios include kitchens and beautiful ocean views. A continental breakfast is included. (1 La Rincondada, Cabarete, Dominican Republic)
- The 12-acre Tubagua Plantation Village in Puerto Plata on the north coast is a new eco-village with a stunning ocean view from 1000 feet above sea level. It is only 15 minutes from the Puerto Plata airport. This "plantation" is also the owner's private residence, so the guests share the social area and an open kitchen. Breakfast is provided, and guests can make their other meals, if they desire. The casual, laid back atmosphere is perfect for relaxing. (Km. 18 Luperon Highway, Tubagua, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic)
- The Da Tonino Hotel in Punta Cana is only about 100 feet from the beach. It is a small, quaint, clean, reasonably priced, family oriented hotel located in between two all-inclusive high priced resorts. The staff and owners are friendly and speak English, French, and Spanish. (Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)
- La Posada de Piedra is also in Punta Cana and is cheap considering that there is air conditioning in good and clean accommodations. The small restaurant makes delicious food for a reasonable price, and the hotel has the aroma of what's cooking! If you stay in a cabana, you are right on the beach. (Playa el Cortecito, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …