How To Plan India Cheap Travel
Knowing how to plan India cheap travel is essential for those wanting to visit India on a budget.
If you want to plan India cheap travel, you will need:
- Good guidebook
- Contact information for local tourist offices
- Travel agent
- Accommodations. India has both palatial hotels and cottages on the beach that range in price from cheap to expensive. Of course the most famous hotels cost as much as in any international city but look for smaller boutique hotels or a bed and breakfast. Use a guidebook geared toward those on a budget for specific recommendations in each area.
- Hire a guide. Even those who want cheap travel can afford to hire a guide in India. Contact the local tourist office or your hotel to get a legitimate guide. They can help you to maximize your time and also keep you from being misled by locals.
- Go in the low season. When you visit India in the less busy time for visitors you will get cheaper rates at hotels, some tourist attractions and events. The high season means more crowds and higher prices but better weather.
- Reserve flights and train travel in India as far in advance as possible. Some routes routinely sell out. A travel agent can easily book trains and hotel rooms for you during your stay.
- Protect yourself. Cheap travel doesn’t mean neglecting to take care of your needs. Drink bottled water and sanitize any fruit that you will eat with the peel on it. Ask restaurant staff for menu recommendations if you can’t tolerate very spicy food.
- Go where the locals go. Go to a Bollywood film where you can sing along with the audience. Get a first-hand lesson in bargaining at a local market. Pay a visit to a local temple at sunrise to begin the day listening to melodic chanting. These activities are free or inexpensive and teach you about the culture.
Posted on: Nov. 01, 2010