How To Plan A Picnic
With nice weather approaching many people look forward to getting outside and enjoying the season, learn how to plan a picnic as an added outdoor activity. There are many occasions when a picnic could add that special touch such as while seeing an outdoor concert, a day at the beach or watching the fireworks in the park. Here are some guidelines to plan a picnic.
To plan a picnic, you will need:
- Lightweight serving dishes
- Parchment Paper and twine
- Canvas bags and paper bag
- Extra towels
- Reusable tableware and cutlery
- Tablecloth or sheet
- Plan the correct menu. When planning a picnic it is important to make sure that the food is able to travel well. The best picnics include sandwiches made from hearty bread and salads made with grains and sturdy vegetables. Avoid lettuce-based salads while planning a picnic as lettuce wilts easily in certain temperatures.
- Choose dishes that require little preparation at the picnic. Doing the preparation prior to the picnic will make the picnic successful for all picnic goers. Do any cutting necessary at home and avoid foods that require a knife as cutting can be difficult in some picnic locations.
- Pack picnic food in environmentally friendly containers. Use lightweight serving dishes, tins or parchment paper and twine to package the picnic fare. Using throwaway containers is not good for the environment. Using reusable containers and tableware will make a nicer presentation. Carry your picnic food in two large canvas bags, one for room-temperature food and an insulated bag for foods that need to remain chilled.
- Pack other picnic supplies. Make sure you pack other picnic supplies such as cloth napkins, extra towels or placemats, salt and pepper, serving utensils and a large tablecloth or sheet to use as your table. Pack an extra paper bag to use as a liner for the canvas bag while carrying home dirty dishes.