How To Plan Travel In December
There are some tricks to learning how to plan travel in December. It doesn't matter if you are travelling specifically for the holidays or just to meet up with friends, if you're not flexible, airlines know they've got you cornered. With a little forethought you can fly or drive without problems and for less money than you might think.
- Sign up for AAA. The full service motor club AAA offers travel deals including hotel, car, flight and cruise options. In addition to saving you money on your trips they offer travel insurance, roadside assistance, free maps and attraction discounts. There is a fee for membership but depending on savings you receive by booking your travel from them it may pay for itself.
- Last minute deals. Don't despair if you've waited until the last minute to plan travel in December. Many online travel sites have a special section for last minute deals. Airlines sell unbooked seats at reduced rates just to fill the plane and hotels do the same with rooms. You may end up sitting in the last row next to the bathroom or finding that your hotel room has a view of a highway but if you can deal with that, save some money and book late.
- Be flexible. Looking to travel in December but not sure where? This time of year is the off-season for Europe and many other popular tourist destinations. Get the most for your money by taking advantage of this. The hotel rooms are larger and the flights are cheaper during the off-season and usually include extra deals when booking an entire vacation.
- Be early. Security procedures are changing all the time at airports. Factor a few more hours into your December travel plans to account for this. The Transportation Security Administration suggests contacting your departing airport for specific information regarding when to arrive at the airport. As a rule of thumb, always plan to arrive an hour earlier than you need to. We've all seen the family of four running for their life to board the plane, that doesn't need to be you.
- Less stress equals more fun. Even if you are not a naturally organized person, it doesn't take much practice to plan travel efficiently. Do your laundry a few days before you leave so you don't have to pull an all-nighter just to pack. Lay out toiletries the night before departing. If you are flying, use sample sizes and place them in a clear plastic bag. Check the weather of your destination to pack clothes appropriately and don't forget the presents if you are travelling for the holidays.