How To Play Beach Volleyball
Time to hit the beach and learn how to play beach volleyball. Make sure you bring plenty of suntan lotion and beverages to keep hydrated. Bring bottled water but no one will groan if you bring a case of beer in a water cooler either.
- Players. Go the traditional competitive route and play with only two players on each team. For recreational fun you may have four or up to six members on each team.
- Clothing. Shorts, T-shirts, board shorts for the men. Shorts, tank tops or swim suits for the ladies. Of course you’ll enjoy the sport at a whole new level if the ladies wore swimsuits. Just a thought.
- Points. Play up to twenty-one with a two point lead. You get a point regardless if you serve or not in beach volleyball game.
- Rotation. With two man team you can stay on the same side throughout the game or not. We recommend when there are four or more you complete a normal rotation to allow everyone to play the entire beach court.
- Serve. Underhand, overhand or jump serves in this sport. Whichever suits your skill or mood. Overhand serve hit the center of the ball after you toss it in the air above you. Jump serve nothing more than fancy a spike. Toss the ball high and spike the ball at the apex of your leap. Once or so during a game serve a sky-rocket underhanded ball just to watch them squeal.
- Pass. Bump pass most effective technique in learning how to play beach volleyball. Bend your legs, one foot in front of the other, stay low. Cup one hand over the other and align your thumbs next to each other. Use the flat surface of your forearm to bump or pass the ball to a teammate. The lift carries the ball, not your arms so don’t power up the arms during a pass.
- Set. Over hand or bump. Mostly in beach recreational volleyball you will use the bump set or pass. Make sure the volleyball clears the net.
- Spike. Stay in bounds and run, plant and jump. Snap your wrist as you hit on top of the ball at the peak of your jump. This will cause the ball to spin downward.
- Block. As soon as you see the volleyball set on the other side, one or two members of your team should shuffle toward that side of the net. Plant and jump up reaching high with both hands. Keep fingers spread out.
- Dig. You may play off the net and dig the ball back up toward a teammate. You may also play under the net to bring the ball back to your side. This particular move considered illegal during regulation indoor play.
You have the basics now in how to play beach volleyball. Lather up with suntan lotion. Invite a buddy to play with you and don’t be shy to invite girls you see out on the beach clad in bikinis to come in and join you. If they say they don’t know how to play. Seriously, cute blondes in swim suits, who cares?