How To Play Center Position In Football
To know how to play center position in football you have to understand a few basic techniques. Having the proper agility, leverage and quickness are all very important, as is significant upper-body strength. Having skill in these areas, along with a great deal of practice, will help you understand how to play center position in football effectively.
- Understand the offense. Center is one of the few positions that must understand what several other players on the unit are doing on every play. To know how to play center position in football well, you must be the leader of the offensive line and you are expected to call out blocking assignments to your fellow linemen before the quarterback snaps the ball.
- Have quick reflexes. To know how to play center position in football you must have a very fast response time, since you first must snap the ball to the quarterback and then bring your hand up to take on the lineman across from you. If you can’t do this with lightning-quick speed, he’ll knock you off balance, run you over and wreck the play.
- Head up, butt down. Keeping your body low but with your back straight and head up will help you win the leverage war that is so important in the “trenches.” There is a saying that “low man wins” in football, and to know how to play center position in football you must understand that taking on a defender is much easier when you are in a good position and keep under his body.
- Bulk up. Taking on defensive linemen requires you to be sturdy and strong. Your initial contact with your opponent will be from a thrust of your arms into his chest, in order to knock him off balance and gain the upper hand. To know how to play center position in football, you must understand that upper-body strength is key.
- Work on agility. From the center of the line you may be asked to pull around the end or to brush by the man across from you and take on a linebacker. You may also be expected to hit your man and then slide over to help out on a double team elsewhere. To know how to play center position in football, you must work on your agility and footwork. You are expected to be a bull on ballerina feet.