You might be interested in knowing how to play “Halo 2” on XP if you don’t want to run the game on Windows Vista. Of course, “Halo 2” wasn’t designed to be played on XP, but there are still techniques for getting around this and running the game on XP. If you’re ready to play “Halo 2” on XP without any hassle, move onto the easy and straight-forward guide below.
To play “Halo 2” on XP, you will need:
- “Halo 2” disc
- “Halo 2” XP patch files
- Place the CD in the drive, and click “OK” on the error message. Don’t panic; the error message that pertains to the file “Startup.exe” is perfectly normal. Simply click the “OK” button.
- Download the “Halo 2” XP patch files. These files are imperative for playing the game on XP. You can easily find these popular files online using major search engines. Once you’ve downloaded the files, extract them to a folder and open it.
- Search for a file called “Install.bat” (no quotations). Right-click the file and select “Edit” from the menu.
- A text file will open. You’ll quickly notice a drive letter in the file which is set to "D:/." You’ll need to edit this to match the drive letter that your game disc is currently in.
- Go back to the “Halo 2” XP patch folder, and run the “Install.bat” file. After double-clicking this file, an installer will appear with a few options. Select “Customize Game Install” from the list. On the next screen, select "Full install only, do not start” as the installation mode. Select “Continue.”
- Once you’ve reached a screen warning you of “compatibility issues,” do not panic. Ignore the warnings and select “Run” on the bottom of the window. Wait for the installer to finish.
- When the installer finishes, open “My Computer” again and right-click on the drive with your game in it. You’ll want to select “Explore” from the list.
- Locate and open up the folder called “redists” (no quotations). You will find a file in it named, “XLiveRedist1.0.6027” (no quotations). Run this file. You will need to choose to “repair” the installation from the options. Allow the installer to complete “repairing.” Additionally, you’ll be asked to reboot after the installer finishes. Do not reboot.
- Run another file called “vcredist” located in the “redists” folder. A loading bar will appear, and it may take a while for it to disappear. Wait for the loading window to disappear.
- Reboot your computer. That’s all you need to do for now, so just reboot your computer by shutting down.
- Once your computer has restarted, open up the XP patch folder again and don’t go any further. Hold down the “Ctrl” key and select both of the files, “dwmapi.dll” and “MFPlat.dll” (no quotations). When they are both selected, let go of the “Ctrl” key and right-click on one of them. Select “Copy.”
- Open up a new “My Computer” window and navigate to your “Halo 2” directory. Right-click anywhere and paste the files.
- Return to the XP patch folder and open the folder called “Activation.” Right-click on the file called “MF.dll” and copy that file.
- Open the “Halo 2” directory again. Paste the “MF.dll” file.
- Once again, open the XP patch folder and use the “Ctrl” key to select both the “mf.dll” file and “xinput9_1_0.dll” file. Right-click and copy these files, and paste them in C:/WINDOWS/System32.
- Back in the XP patch folder, right-click on the file called “Run.bat” and select “Edit.” In the text window, find the drive letter and change it to your hard drive’s letter (this is normally “C”). Save this file.
- Lastly, double-click “Run.bat” in the XP patch folder. This will cause the game to launch!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.