How To Play Hold Em Poker
Wondering how to play hold em poker? Hold em poker is one of the most popular versions of this game. You can play with just a few people or a table full. Either way, the game is unpredictable until the very last card is dealt. Remember, this game requires that one person, not playing the game, be the dealer.
- Each player puts in a certain amount of money or chips to get the game started. This is thrown into the middle of the table.
- The dealer shuffles and deals two cards to each person. These cards are known as either the pocket or hole cards. The players look at their cards, but don't show them to anyone else.
- Each person gets to place a bet based on those two cards. It begins with the person to the left of the dealer. If you are that person, you can check and pass the bet to the next person around the table. All players can check and the game with continue without anything going into the middle.
- The dealer “burns” the next card in the deck. This card is discarded and cannot be used in the game.
- Three cards are placed face up by the dealer onto the table where everyone can see. This is called the flop. After everyone has seen the cards, players once again place their bets, beginning with the person to to left of the dealer.
- Another card is “burned” and the dealer places one more card face up for everyone to see. This card is called the “turn” and once it is out, another round of bets takes place.
- The final card is turned over by the dealer. This is the “river” card. This is the final round of bets. Players need to make the best hand they can using the two cards in their hand as well as any of the five cards in the middle. You don't want to let anyone know what you have until all of the bets are through and it is time to show the cards.
- If you have the highest hand, you are entitled to all of the money or chips in the center of the table.