How To Play Roller Hockey
Knowing how to play roller hockey is a great way to stay in shape and burn off a little steam. Playing with your friends is a great way to get into the sport without worrying too much about aggressive tendencies you may encounter by joining the local leagues. Those guys sometimes take the game a little too seriously. Like all games, the point is to have fun and the best way to keep it fun is to keep tempers in line. One way to achieve this is by having a friend referee.
To play roller hockey, you will need:
- Ten friends with inline skates, sticks and safety gear
- Two goals (you can buy these or make them from PVC pipes and elbow joints)
- Roller hockey ball
- Time-keeping device
- Preparing the arena. To play roller hockey, you will have to find some space. While there are a few outdoor roller hockey rinks available to the public, you will most likely have to seek out your own spot. An empty parking lot, an unused basketball court or school grounds are good options. Basketball courts are nice because the boundaries are already painted. If not, use chalk to draw boundaries around the same size as a basketball court. Use the broom to clear out any debris and set up your goals.
- Warring tribes. Now it is time to divide up into teams. Each side will have four players and a goalie. Before you start the game, establish some rules. Accidental physical contact is allowed but there is no checking in roller hockey. No spearing or high-sticking either. You can kick the ball but you cannot score a goal off a kick. If the ball goes out of bounds or a goal is scored, faceoffs are done in the center of the court.
- Game on. How long you play is determined by the players' level of stamina. A typical game has two fifteen minute halves. Teams switch sides at halftime.
- Roller hockey offers a whole slew of ways to mess people up. The speed of inline skating combined with asphalt can be messy. Sliding across asphalt hurts. Make sure everyone is wearing the proper safety gear.