How To Play Slot Machines At The Casino
Learning how to play slot machines at the casino couldn't be easier. Slots are one of the simplest casino games to play. Don't be intimidated by not knowing the rules or how slot machines work. It only takes a few spins and you'll be a slots master in no time.
Things you'll need:
- A slot machine
- Picking a slot machine. Playing slot machines at a casino starts with picking a machine. Most casinos offer a ton of different slot machines at various denominations. Picking the right machine really boils down to what you enjoy. If you're just starting out, it's usually best to play penny slots or nickel slots; these slot machines will be marked with a big 1¢ or 5¢ sign on top of them. These machines let you play for as little as 1¢ or 5¢ a spin and are a great way to learn the ropes as far as how slot machines work.
- Video slots versus traditional slots. Other than the denomination that you're playing for, slot machines also come in different types. Newer video slot machines often have progressive jackpots and interactive bonus rounds, where getting certain combinations of symbols will unlock a special bonus round where mini-games are played on video screens. There are also traditional slot machines that are more straightforward, simply paying off for combinations of symbols such as cherries, dollar signs and numbers without the flashier interactive video screens and bonuses.
- Choosing your bet size. After you sit down and play a few spins, you should explore the different betting options. Slot machines allow you to bet varying amounts that will let you play more paylines. For the minimum bet, you typically just play one payline straight across the machine. To win, you have to have the correct symbols line up on that center line. If you increase your bet size, more paylines are available and you can win when symbols align in a variety of ways. Every slot machine has a button you can press that explains both the payouts, the symbols needed for various winnings, and the paylines that are activated for various bets.
- Slot machines with progressive jackpots. Another factor to consider when deciding how to play slot machines at a casino is whether the machine offers a progressive jackpot. Many newer video slot machines offer jackpots that accumulate from play at slot machines at not just that casino, but also other casinos around the country. This means that you could win a huge jackpot if you're extremely lucky with some progressive jackpots topping $1 million. That money has to come from somewhere, though, so be aware that if you're playing a progressive jackpot slot machine you'll typically win slightly less on all your smaller non-jackpot wins because the machines are set to pay out less for normal wins with the extra money kept feeding into the jackpot.
- Slot machine perks. Be sure to sign up for a player's card, as nearly every casino offers special prizes and other promotions to members of their player's club. It just takes a few minutes to sign up and once you get your card, insert it into the slot of the machine you're playing and you'll start accumulating points for every spin you play. If you like to drink while you gamble, remember that most casinos offer free drinks to players at the slot machines, so don't forget to flag down the cocktail waitress.