How To Play Yu Gi Oh Card Game
Learning how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game will take patience and dedication. Beginners must first master the basics and play simple duels to learn the tricks of the game. The following guide is provided with the assumption that the reader knows about the requirements needed to enable playing Yu-Gi-Oh.
- Know how to duel. Knowing how to duel is essential in learning how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game. A typical player-vs-player game is called a duel. The objective is to win against the opponent through three known methods: reduce opponent’s life points to zero, opponent no longer have cards in his or her deck, or through card effects In standard duels, each player will have 8,000 life points. For casual duels, each player can agree on a maximum life point, which means it could be less than 8,000 or more. To decide who will start the game play players can choose from the following methods: role a die: highest or lowest, rock-paper-scissors, or toss coin. The winner can go first or let his or her opponent go instead. Players will draw 5 cards after this.
- Learn the duel phases. It is important to learn the phases of the duel when a beginner wants to know how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game. Each phase dictates what actions a player is allowed to do such as what cards can be played and when to summon monsters.
- Draw Phase. When it is a player’s turn in the duel he or she goes to Draw Phase. This is the first phase for each player where he or she must draw a card from the top of his or her deck. If a player is in Draw Phase but no longer has any card on his/her deck that player loses the duel.
- Stand-by Phase. Right after you drawing card in Draw Phase the player immediately transitions to Stand-by Phase. This is the time to play cards that can be played in this phase or for paying maintenance costs for cards in play under that player’s control.
- 1st Main Phase. In the 1st Main Phase the turn player or the player whose turn it is to play can do the following: Summon or set of a monster, activate spells and set traps and activate card effects.This is the time for any player to prepare his or her monsters and weapons for battle.
- Battle Phase. The fun starts in Battle Phase right after the 1st Main Phase. This phase is divided into 4 steps: The Start Step where the turn player declares that she is entering the Battle Phase. The Battle Step where the turn player chooses a monster under his control to attack with and a monster under the opponent’s control to attack. The Damage Step where the turn player deals damage. Damage is calculated and if a monster’s life points are reduced to zero that monster is killed. Killed monsters go to the Graveyard at the end of this step. The End Step is when the turn player ends the Battle Phase.
- 2nd Main Phase. This is a repeat of the 1st Main Phase. In this phase, the turn player prepares his defense for the opponent’s counterattack.
- End Phase. This marks the end of turn for the turn player allowing the opponent to start her turn.
- Remember the cards. Once a beginner learns the basic game play then it is time for him to learn more about the monsters, the spells and the traps she can use. How much the beginner learns about his/her cards will greatly affect his/her knowledge on how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game.
Any beginner will learn more on how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game if he or she gains more dueling experience. The new player will eventually learn to add a theme to his/her deck as he/she improves on how to play Yu-Gi-Oh card game.