At one point or another homeowners learn how to plumb a bathroom. This could be because they are adding an additional bathroom or remodeling an existing one. Plumbing a bathroom is one of the first steps taken to get to the finished product. When plumbing a bathroom you will be installing the waterlines and drains to the bath tub, toilet, and sink. A good plumbing job is the bones of a good bathroom home improvement project.
To plumb a bathroom, you will need:
- Copper lines and fittings
- Drain pipe and fittings
- 5 Shut off valves
- Drain pipes
- Plumbers tape
- Adjustable wrench
- Cordless Drill
- Drill bits
- Hole saw
- Wax ring
- Solder gun
- Sand paper
- Preparation. Be sure the water is shut off. To plumb the bathroom you will be cutting into the water lines in the house.
- Placement. Configure the placement for your bathroom plumbing by determining the design of your bathroom. The placement of the toilet, tub, and sink will determine where you will need to run your plumbing lines. You will be cutting holes in the floor to run water and drain pipes so exact placement is important.
- Water lines. You will be running 5 water lines: a hot and cold line to each the bathtub and sink and then a single cold water line to the toilet. These lines can be run up through the wall or up through the floor. Once you tap into the main water lines to the house I recommend using flexible lines to attach to the sink and tub faucets. Use sand paper to clean copper pipe before soldering on the fittings.
- Drains. You will be using multiple sizes of drain lines for your bathroom. The toilet drain line should be either 3 or 4-inch. After attach the toilet drain elbow the pipe should slope at least 1/8-inch per foot until it reaches the main drain line of the house. The sink will need a 1 ½-inch drain line. The bathtub will need a 2-inch drain line.
- Attaching drains and lines. Attach the water lines and drains. Use plumbers tape on the threads to help ensure there will not be any leaks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.