Learning how to powder coat rims is a great way to make your rims more attractive and durable. Powder coated rims are much stronger than rims with just stock paint or no paint at all. The advantages of powder coated rims are both aesthetic and for protection. The process of powder coating rims is fairly simple and requires nothing more than standard painting equipment and an oven.
To powder coat rims, you will need:
- A paint sprayer (capable of utilizing powder coat)
- An oven (capable of 400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Prepare the rims. Remove the rims from any vehicle or mount and carefully clean them. Ensure they are well cleaned before attempting to powder coat the rims.
- Places the rims on an oven rack. The oven rack must be completely flat and level to ensure the powder coat is even and does not run. When attempting to powder coat rims it is important to have a comfortable and ample working space.
- Apply the powder coat. Using the sprayer, begin to powder coat the rims. Apply an even amount of powder coating to the rims.
- Pre-heat the oven. Pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit is important to complete the final step.
- Place the rims in the oven. Complete the process powder coating your rims by placing the oven rack with the rims in the oven. Allow the powder coating to bond to the rims for about fifteen to twenty minutes in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the rims and allow to cool. Remove the rims from the oven and place them in a shielded outdoor location. Allow them to cool for at least two hours to complete the process.
Powder coating is a complicated process, and learning how to powder coat your rims will take patience. Do not expect to master the powder coating technique the first time. Always use the proper tools and equipment when powder coating your rims.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Movies You Must See in 2014
The cinematic calendar promises sex addicts, sexy vampires, sexy co-eds, Sundance splashes and artfully concocted big-budget fare.
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.