Need to know how to practice drum beats on pads? This article will help you practice drum beats on drum pads sufficiently to get some good practice out of them. There are many different kinds of drum pads out there. Some are great for beginners as they give it more of a bounce while others that are more like a real drum head allow you to practice as if you were using the real drum set. The nice thing about drum pads is that they are quiet, so you can practice them anytime and anywhere without disturbing anybody. It is also an easy way to practice the rudiments of drumming and improve your technique.
- Metronome. One of the best ways to practice your beats is to use a metronome with a drum pad. This will allow you to play the fundamentals while being able to hear the metronome easily. The following rudiments have variations that you can get from a rudimental drum book
- Single stroke rudiments. The single stroke is the first rudiment to master before moving on to any other rudiment. So, let's begin with the single stroke roll. You will do the following: R L R L and repeat this over and over. As you practice this stroke you will want to play it faster and faster, usually in quarter notes.
- Double stroke rudiments. The double stroke rudiment is the same as the single stroke but instead of alternate sticking, you play R R L L R R L L and repeat this over and over. You will eventually want to master this stroke at a quarter of a note.
- Diddle rudiments. A diddle means to play two notes with the same hand. So, you have R L R R L R L L, then repeat this over and over until you are playing it consistently and with proper speed.
- Flam rudiments. A flam is played by both hands. It consists of one note played quietly and the other played loudly, for example, r L or l R.
- Drag rudiments. A drag consists of two notes played by the same hand at a faster pace before the other hand plays. For this you can do rr L or ll R.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.