How To Prepare For A Job Interview
If you want to know how to prepare for a job interview, know that there are different kinds of job interviews and different types of questions. Knowing what kinds of things to expect will help you to be articulate and confident. While you cannot predict exactly what to expect, you can practice some key things that will help for any interview.
- Practice different questions. There are many different websites that have typical and atypical interview questions. To know how to prepare for a job interview, you should have someone ask you some of these questions and practice answering them. Don't practice answers word for word, because questions may change slightly depending on your interviewer.
- Watch yourself in the mirror. When you practice speaking, use a mirror to watch your face and body language. Speak slowly and smile when you aren't speaking. Practice making eye contact.
- Learn how to spin your weaknesses. In researching how to prepare for a job interview, you might notice interviewers typically ask about your weaknesses. You should be honest about the areas in which you need work, but you should also note your room for learning and improvement.
- Choose an outfit. You'll want to lay out your outfit the night before your interview. Sometimes an interviewer will tell you what to wear, but if they don't, try to dress professionally. It's better to overdress than to be too casual.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Believe it or not, even your shoes are important in knowing how to prepare for a job interview. If you are given a tour of the workplace or asked to stay for further assessment, you'll want to make sure you can walk properly. If you have new shoes, wear them around for awhile before the interview.
- Don't overdo your look. Don't put too much product in your hair and you shouldn't wear strong cologne. A strong scent can be off-putting for an interviewer.
- Eat breakfast or lunch. One of the most important ways to know how to prepare for a job interview, make sure you have a bite to eat before you go to your job interview. Feeling hungry or having your stomach growling during an interview can be distracting and take away from your answers.
- Show up early. One of the best ways to know how to prepare for a job interview is to show up early for your interview. This will give you time to take a deep breath, think about answering potential questions, and to grab a drink of water. Even if you have to wait awhile for the job interview to begin, you'll look more responsible and professional for being a few minutes early.