How To Prepare For Long Distance Running Training
So, do you need to know how to prepare for long distance running training? Training may be necessary for long distance running if you are going to start running distance races—such as 5k or 10K races—running cross-country races or getting into triathlons. Knowing the right training methods for long distance running will prevent injury and burnout and let you advance more quickly so that you are ready for running distance races.
- Know that training for long distance running starts rather slowly. You may want to start practicing running distances with no more than fifteen minutes of running per day. It depends on how much previous running training or distance running experience you have.
- Be patient and gradual with advancing the lengths of time you run. If you try to push yourself too hard too fast, you’re simply asking for injury, fatigue or mental burnout. Push yourself, but at the same time listen to your body and mind. Greater distances with faster times will come in time, and then you’ll be ready for the serious and intense long distance training.
- Include uphill climbs in your distance running training. When you do these climbs, “check out.” That means increase your speed for the duration of the uphill climb. Also, keep checking out for at least ten yards past the crest of the hill. After this point, settle back into your pace. This prepares you for serious distance running and race training and gives you something to use during a race.
- Learn how to stretch properly. Distance running requires your legs to be supple and strong, and increased flexibility means increases in both of these areas. Research proper stretching techniques if necessary.
- Get on a proper diet. You’ll crash during distance running training without eating right. Say goodbye to refined sugars, empty carbs and cow’s milk. The good news is you may be eating more cheeseburgers, pizza, steak and spaghetti than ever!
- Start taking supplements. You need an edge for distance running success. Drinks and supplements, such as ginseng capsules, are excellent when training for distance running. Just don’t overdo caffeine for running training purposes.
- Get a great pair of running shoes. This is very, very important. Buy the best running shoes you can afford. Even if you buy yours from a department store on clearance, don’t spend less than twenty dollars.
Understand the tips above before you take on distance running training. The most important aspect of this preparation is having your mind prepared.